Tuesday, July 16, 2013

What's that phrase again? Oh yes, WIPpet Wednesday!

Hello and welcome to WIPpet Wednesday!  Another week has flown by. I must say, I've been proud of myself.  I have a goal of writing one chapter each week, and if I stick to my outline (which I'm not, because already it's changed) I should be done with Spellbound by late September.  I completed chapter ten last week, and this week I have chapter 11 to complete, which is already done!  Oh yeah!  I got myself away from the apartment for two days when needing to write, and that helped out immensely.  I was able to concentrate and focus on just writing.  Mind you, I didn't feel like I wrote very much.  Coming home a few hours later to maybe 1k written doesn't feel like I accomplished a lot, but it added up in the end.  I accomplished my goal and I'm on track of where I want to be.  BUT.  (You know there's always a but, right?)  I need to re-outline the rest of the following chapters.  The story has changed somewhat, and so has the way I wanted the chapters to flow. That means the rest of this week may not feel like I'm getting ahead so much because I'm spending time outlining (and Wednesday and Thursday are full days for me where I won't be home much at all).  Nevertheless, I am feeling great! 

So without further ado, here's my WIPpet piece for today.  Thanks so much to My Random Muse for hosting this awesome event.  Be sure to click on the link to read the other WIPpeteers out there who have their own fascinating imaginations at work, and please feel free to join in with your own! 

For this being the 17th day (or almost 17th day.  I find that Tuesday evening is the best time to post this because I really hate getting up extra early before work Wednesday morning, and as was pointed out to me, it's already Wednesday in Australia!) I give you 17 sentences, finishing right where I left off from last time.  Remember, I am going in chronological order. 

****

It was widely rumored that the Defenders possessed magic, that something gave them their supreme fighting abilities.  Because whoever they were, everyone knew that the Defenders weren’t ordinary.  They were extraordinary. 

They were heroes.

When Akira, flanked by Goldore, had shown up the next morning among the fairgrounds, reuniting with her minions that had kept guard over the hostages, she had demanded an answer from Harper’s Grove citizens.  That answer came in the form of a crossbow singing through the air right toward Akira’s heart.  She deflected it with her wand staff, but that moment had started a rebellion the alien threat hadn’t anticipated.

No one should have been able to penetrate the force field she had placed around the fairgrounds.  At least, that’s what she had screamed out toward the six masked heroes charging her way.  When more arrows sang through the air, she screamed at her minions to attack, but they were already under siege.

Goldore charged forward, meeting heads with the Red Defender.  The two of them danced in a ferocious tangle of swords while Akira shrank away from the battle.  It was clear she had been prepared for a quiet surrender, not an attack.  Forced to retreat as the carnage of her minions continued to mount, she made sure to take out the lives of a few more citizens before she fled the scene, vowing that she would return, that she wouldn’t relent until Harper’s Grove was under her rule.

Terry stared at the monument of the Defenders.  This was why he was here.  They were why he had chosen to leave his small home town.   

14 comments:

  1. Hmmmm . . . another intriguing glimpse. And seems Akira can talk the talk but not walk the walk, hey? I thoroughly love that you are using "minions". That's a far under-used word if you ask me. And the way it rolls of the tongue . . . Come, my minions, there is work to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, Despicable Me is reviving the term.

      Delete
    2. LOL, it made me laugh when Despicable Me came out and minions were used. They weren't my inspiration at all for coining the phrase, but like you said, it just rolls off the tongue!

      Delete
  2. I wonder, is Terry about to be drawn into another war? A war in which Akira returns to seek her revenge? (Is he going to end up being the Green Ranger equivalent? I wasn't a fan of the show, but I'd watched it for him.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *shakes the magic 8 ball* Try again later. *grins and slowly slinks away, not-so-subtly disappearing off the page*

      Delete
  3. Ah, so Akira can pull off an impressive entrance, but isn't so hot on holding her ground when things don't go her way. I take it she's on her way back?

    Also, I really like Terry and the idea of leaving the small town to find out more about this really amazing thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, she's kind of a wimp, but a really determined one...

      Delete
  4. Great so far! I really like the description "The two of them danced in a ferocious tangle of swords while Akira shrank away from the battle." I feel so sorry for the people of this town!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sort of like 9/11. One really horrific day in history where lives were lost, but ever since then, defenses went up... oh, I mean Defenders went up (har har, play on words, get it?), and the town's been vigilantly protected ever since.

      Delete
  5. Interesting.

    So Akira isn't as strong as they thought she was... and there are those in Harper's Grove (or from someplace else) who knew how to fight her... I look forward to finding out more about these defenders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Akira is a great example of getting everyone else to fight her battle for her :)

      Delete
  6. Terry is already a hero -- for coming to this place as perhaps one of the Defenders? Akira's earlier description (and Goldore) are horrific, leaving readers to wonder how the people will manage to survive at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beth :) Terry has moved to Harper's Grove in hopes of becoming one of them, yes. He feels called to make a difference, and stopping an alien threat would make a VERY big difference.

      Delete
  7. You make it real easy to hate Akira. That bit with her killing people as she ran and let her minions die so she could keep herself safe... Kudos! You're doing a villain total justice. :)

    ReplyDelete