Sunday, March 3, 2013

Tread Lightly

It’s dark because you are trying too hard. Lightly child, lightly. Learn to do everything lightly. Yes, feel lightly even though you’re feeling deeply. Just lightly let things happen and lightly cope with them. I was so preposterously serious in those days…Lightly, lightly—it’s the best advice ever given me. So throw away your baggage and go forward. There are quicksands all about you, sucking at your feet, trying to suck you down into fear and self-pity and despair. That’s why you must walk so lightly. Lightly, my darling.
- Aldous Hixley
 

I ran across this on tumblr.  The link is here: http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/lit
I enjoy advice that helps you find ways to cope with life.  There is a lot of darkness out there, and especially within ourselves.  It's SO easy to feel the darkness. 

My short story 'The Coin' is about feeling Christ, about feeling the light.  This quote by Aldous Hixley talks about another way of feeling the light.  I don't know if you are like me, but I tend to feel very deeply, and when I feel very deeply, that means I have a higher tendency to get hurt on an emotional level, because it is those feelings that become affected. 

That's why I want to share 'The Coin' with others.  It's SO easy to feel the dark.  We walk into quicksand all too easily sometimes, getting pulled into thoughts and actions that prevent us from seeing what life is about:  learning to get back up. 

Come take a walk with me while I learn to feel a little bit lighter, do things a little bit lighter.  Let's all try to help each other avoid the quicksand that pulls us under. 


No comments:

Post a Comment