Friday, May 31, 2013

The Adventures of Little Dude: Epilogue


Epilogue:  Saying Goodbye

Little Dude was carried into a building where he was welcomed by quite a few other humans saying nice things to him, including the nice lady.  After such a long and scary ride, he needed all the comfort he could get.  Fingers came and wrapped themselves around, lifting him out of his cozy little nest.  Those fingers were soft and warm and reminded him of Mama, which also reminded his belly that he hadn’t eaten for a long, long time. 
Straightaway he opened his beak, thinking excitedly, FOOD!

Sadly, nothing came.
“Aww, you’re a hungry fella, aren’t you?” said the new lady that was holding him. 

“I think Little Dude worked up an appetite on the car ride over,” the nice lady replied.  “He wasn’t too happy about the drive.”
There was a soft chuckle.  “Is your name Little Dude?”

Little Dude chirped in response, making the new lady chuckle again.  Then soft, gentle fingers started probing his head, neck, and also his wings.
“Is he okay?” the nice lady asked.

“I can see that he’s dehydrated, but other than that he seems okay.”
“Oh good!  I was worried that maybe he hurt himself during the two separate falls that he took.”

There was more conversation that went on, but Little Dude wasn’t really listening.  Was he in Hollywood?  Had he finally made it?  More importantly, where was food?  He really could use some right about now.
The nice lady’s voice slowly cut into his thoughts.  “Well Little Dude, I guess this is goodbye.  I hope you enjoy your temporary new home until you get a little bit older.  Make sure to grow up healthy and strong!”

Wait, the nice lady was leaving?  But—but—
“Thank you!”  Little Dude squawked.  “Come see me again in Hollywood!”

The nice lady chuckled, and then she and her mate walked out the doors, and Little Dude was taken to go get cleaned off and fed. 

Even though he hadn’t quite made it to Hollywood yet, the wildlife rehabilitation clinic was a very nice place, and he made some new friends that didn’t tease him about his big beak.  He was fed and taken care of and plumped up into a nice young Starling that was ready to fly away several weeks later. 
When Little Dude felt the wonderful rush of air ruffle his feathers and found the heat thermals that let him soar high in the sky, he thought of the nice lady, and was glad that she had brought him to the best home he ever had.

As he flew away with a group of his friends, they all had one mission in mind:  finding Hollywood.  
****

There you have it folks, the story of Little Dude!  I hope it was entertaining for you.  It was enjoyable to write.
A little bit of fun facts:  this was based on a true story.  I found Little Dude on the ground in the carport of my apartment complex.  That evening was just as much as an adventure for me as I’m sure it was for Little Dude, which is why this story fluttered to life.  Though fictionalized to some extent, the events written here are true, as are the pictures and video.  They are the real McCoy, Little Dude himself!  I would love to hear your feedback.  Do you have any favorite moments you particularly enjoyed?  Would you like to see more short stories in the future?  Leave a comment please!

On Sunday I will be posting information about my WIP (Work In Progress).  I haven’t spoken much about the future project I am writing. . . get ready for the reveal!
A few other things I realize I haven't advertised:  You can follow me on twitter @booksbysmiles, and I am also on facebook too.  I am in need of gaining more likes on that page, so if you haven't already, please go on over and like it!  Facebook: Books By Smiles
Thank you so much for your interest!  I hope to keep it :)        

No comments:

Post a Comment