Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Same Bat WIPpet Time, Same Bat WIPpet Channel

It's nearly midnight, and I've just realized that WIPpet Wednesday is mere minutes away!  Depending on the time zone this blog posts in, it may still read the 25th, but in *my* time zone, it's after midnight, so I'm posting!

This has been a successful week in writing.  I've figured out that goals feel more tangible to me when I define them as chapters I want to write and finish versus how many words I want to write.  Chapters give me a picture in my head.  So!  I have just finished writing chapter 8!  My goal is to also write Chapter 9 this week as well.  I'm not sure how attainable that will be. Thursday, Friday and Saturday all have things going on.  Nonetheless, I am feeling accomplished right now.

For my 'How You Found Me' series, I have decided on a title for book 1:  Spellbound.  See what I mean about feeling accomplished?  

So, without further ado, I give you 29 lines (at least, in Microsoft Word, the formatting makes it 29 lines.  It comes out to like 27 lines on blogger).  The formula I used to rationalize 29 lines was this:  26+3=29 (the 26th day of June, plus three for the 3 in 2013).  That allows my WIP to end nicely rather than in the middle of the paragraph. 

I give you the first 29 lines of 'Spellbound.'

* * * *

One word could just about sum it up: Akira.
 
She and her band of minions and beasts changed Harper’s Grove overnight.  They had all appeared out of nowhere during Harper’s Grove Annual Fair, turning merriment into devastation.  Citizens didn’t realize the danger standing before them when she interrupted the local musical entertainment on stage, demanding the people to kneel at her feet and submit to her will.  Oliver Greenwood, a brave young college-bound photographer—his name was etched on the dark granite of the city’s memorial wall – had snapped a few photos of Akira.  Although he hadn’t survived, his camera had. 

They were the only pictures ever captured of her, depicting a woman human enough in appearance, but not quite.  There were strange features that defined her, set her apart as— well, alien.  Among her long black shimmering hair were pointed ears that peeked out at the top of her head, and her dark buttoned nose resembled something more feline than human.  Her eyes, however, were the most stunning feature: they were large and almond shaped, glittering like brilliant emerald green gems with thin black slits.  Her skin was a deep olive tone, and though her limbs and hands were human, her finger nails could extend into sharp-clawed daggers.

Last year, Harper’s Grove had been just like any other budding metropolitan town.  It wasn’t so big yet that you instantly felt lost amid the hustle and bustle of crowds and tall buildings that loomed high above, but it was digging its heels into growth and industry.  It was a thriving, friendly town, filled with citizens that stopped on the street to help a stranger fix a flat tire, or to help little old grandma cross the street.  Surfers would mosey on down to the beach to catch the waves, and girls in bikinis would flock from behind, giggling and chatting about the view.  The weather usually kept to its warm, balmy temperature of seventy degrees, welcoming sun lovers to snatch up its warmth and rays.


Now, though . . .

The cost of death had taught its citizens to be wary.  One didn’t necessarily wander around after dark anymore, and something more sinister than traffic could make you late to work, if you even showed at all.  Mothers made sure to keep their children close, and the sound of an old car’s clanking engine rumbling down the street could be enough to scatter groups of people cowering for cover into buildings or clambering into their cars to get away, afraid that the noise represented someone more menacing. 

* * * *

There you have it!  Thanks to My Random Muse for hosting, and if you want to join in on the fun, post your own Work In Progress, then link your site and let everyone see what you've got going on!  Be sure to check out everyone else's WIPpets too:)  Your thoughts and critiques are, of course, always welcome. 
 

7 comments:

  1. I really like the contrast of what Harper Grove used to be like compared to the fear that's now enveloped it. Good description of Akira too and that's a chilling line 'although he hadn't survived, his camera had.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now we have a real sense of something very major that changed the face of this town. But why here? What was Akira after? Where is she now? Oooh . . . so many questions brought up that need answering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I very much liked the description of Akira - she sounds a formidable character. I also enjoyed the comparison of the town before and after her arrival. I really got the sense of how it had changed. This excerpt has a sort of epic feeling to it - is that how the rest of the story is going to be?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! I still haven't named my WIP, but it will be cause for celebration when I do! I love your description of the alien woman, or whatever she is. Really great paragraph!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The huge shift in the town's attitude pre-Akira to post-Akira speaks volumes that most descriptions of the violence itself cannot. (There is something awesome and yet sad about the level of violence the average reader can come up when they're allowed free reign to their imaginations... I mean, look what it says about us as people. ;-) )

    The line about the camera is great. I'm with Kate on that. I really like how it's coming, Christina.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor Oliver Greenwood, one brief but powerful cameo. I also liked the before and after contrast - such an ordinary place in many ways with no point of reference for someone like Akira.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Eden - just the before/after descriptions give such a powerful idea of what went on when Akira first appeared (though we do know a bit from your past WIPpets as well, which probably helps!). I love the casual-ness of the reference to Oliver's name being on the memorial wall now; also very powerful!

    ReplyDelete